Our Engagement Story (My Version)

Today marks month 15 that Jordan and I have been married. YAY! In these short 15 months, I have learned that marriage is most definitely about celebrating each and every day together (among lots of other things, obviously). The enemy is constantly trying to tear apart marriages, especially ones between 2 believers. I love how Stormie Omartian put it in her book The Power of a Praying Wife. “When a man marries, he leaves his father and mother and becomes one with his wife (Genesis 2:24). They are a team, one unit, unified in spirit. The strength of a man and wife joined together in God’s sight is far greater than the sum of the strengths of each of the two individuals. That’s because the Holy Spirit unites them and gives added power to their prayers.”

Without a shadow of a doubt, the enemy HATES the strength that is brought about through marriage. He will try with all of his might to break apart our marriage for the rest of our lives. BUT we have the power and authority (Luke 10:19), in the name of Jesus, to overcome evil and tell the enemy to back off!

With all of that said, today, on this 15th month of marriage, I would like to look back and celebrate our engagement story, through my eyes (Jordan’s version will be coming next month). Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy!

Saturday, February 11, 2012:

Per usual, Jordan and I were hanging on Saturday evening, and more per usual, I was in the kitchen at his condo cooking dinner. The not so usual occurred when he came in from the office and asked if I had seen the card I had given him. Well in our short 7 months of dating, I had managed to give him quite a few cards actually, so my next question was of course, “Which card, honey?” He answered with, “The very first card you gave me, before we were dating.” Ah-ha, it’s in the box in the office. At first I thought it was a little weird that he was looking for that particular card, but then quickly moved back to thoughts of dinner. A bit later, he asked if we would want to go to Estes Park with his friend, Devin, and his girlfriend after church the next day. I was a little hesitant at first, considering it was February and cold outside, but after a little convincing, I agreed.

Sunday, February 12, 2012:

We decided the night before that we were going to go to the 8:30A service, so Devin and his girlfriend meet us at Jordan’s condo at like 8:15. Jordan was kind of fidgeting and taking forever that morning, I remember, but finally we were out the door and headed across the street. After service, we saw some friends on the way out, Jordan told us to go ahead because he wanted to talk to them really quick (come to find out later, he was telling the husband about his plan for the day).

Now it was time to head up to Estes, though Jordan apparently forgot something at the condo, so we had to make a pit stop (he needed to grab the ring box). This is where things got really weird. I remember he wanted Devin to come inside with him, which was interesting, and then when they came back outside, I remember mentioning to Devin’s girlfriend that Jordan had something in his back pocket and we both noticed the boys were acting quite strange. Finally, we are on our way to Estes and I notice I had forgotten my phone. I specifically remember saying, “Something significant always happens when I forget my phone (like people going into the hospital or babies being born).” Both of the boys asked if I wanted to turn around to get it, but I said I would be fine (little did I know).

I get car sick really bad when it comes to driving in the mountains, especially if I am in the back seat, which I happened to be on this occasion because Devin was driving. I had completely spaced to grab some motion sickness pills from the house, so I knew this was going to be an adventurous trip. Devin took it quite slow, but I was SUPER nauseous the entire trip. I kept just breathing really slowly. Sometimes I had my head on Jordan’s lap, other times I was trying to look out the front window, but either way, I just didn’t think I was going to make it. (P.S. I can’t imagine what Jordan is thinking, lol.)

Random side note, Jordan had the ring box in his jacket pocket (apparently) and I remember at one point on the way up hearing this snapping sound a couple of times. Come to find out later, Jordan had accidentally snapped the box a couple of times because he was nervous.

FINALLY, we make it up to Estes and into the Safeway parking lot. Jordan and Devin both ran into Safeway to get me some motion sickness pills and some water. After sitting in the parking lot for about 30 minutes, we decided that maybe some food would be a positive thing. We agreed on this little Mexican restaurant right off of the river. The food was delicious, or at least what I could eat of it.

After lunch, we walked around downtown a little bit, which was nice considering I was still trying to gain my bearings back from the trip up and the cool air actually helped a lot. We started at the beginning of the north side and Jordan was semi-acting like nervous, anxious and a little shaky. When we made the turn to start walking along the other side, he got even shakier and I remember asking him if he was doing okay. He was acting as though he was going to be sick or something. Then, right in front of the Husker store, he stopped. At this point I was really worried because he was really white, his hands were shaking and he was freezing. Boy, was I clueless.

He stops me and pulls out this long, silver card. It was the card he was asking about last night, the card I had given him before we had started dating. He read the entire card to me, and then he told me how much I meant to him and how meaningful that card was to him. He told me he loved me, that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me and then bam, he was on one knee in front of me, asking “Will you marry me, Brandy Lee?” I was semi in shock and then it donned on me, shoot, I’ve gotta give him an answer. “Baby, yes!” is all that I could muster out.


The Ring:

When I was 16-years-old, my great-grandma, Dana, (who has passed away) designed a ring for me as part of a family tradition. In the center, she placed a diamond that has been passed down in our family for generations. It came all the way from Czechoslovakia. On the sides of the center stone, she put other diamonds that have been in our family for generations. When I was 18, I was given the ring to pass on to my future husband. I decided in order to make sure the moment was special and genuine, I would not look at the ring until the day my future husband opened the box to present it to me.

Months previously, I had sat Jordan down, told him the story and gave him the ring box. I asked that he would ask my grandpa and dad for permission, but that the ring was his for whenever he felted he wanted me to be his wife.


Back to the engagement story:

After walking around the rest of Estes in bliss, it was time to make our way back home. Obviously I took some motion sickness pills for the trip back down, but I was too elated to probably even notice the drive. When we made it back to Jordan’s condo, he had arranged for my mom to decorate the condo with rose peddles, balloons, a card and a little cake. Of course I had forgotten my phone, so once we arrived back at the condo, saw the amazing decorations my mom had put out for us, the phone call making began. What a great and special moment that we will forever cherish!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s